Private vehicle / By Air
Trip Style Tea house trek
Meals Breakfast + Lunch + Dinner
Per Day Walking 4 - 6 Hours
Best Season April to November
- You will lose at least 5-10 lbs
- Explore remote part of Nepal
- Study and observe cultural influence of Tibet
- Explore thousand years old caves and monasteries
- Study and observe unique family culture and tradition
Upper Mustang trek is must do event for those trekkers who love trekking in remote area. It has various things to offer like Tibetan culture, thousands year old caves and monastery and scenic beauties. The desert from Tibetan border in north to Kagbeni in south is considered as Upper Mustang. The adventure of Upper Mustang begins from the deepest gorge of the world—Kaligandaki. The steep rocky trail goes through Lo-Manthang Valley. The panoramic view of Nilgiri, Annapuran, Dhaulagiri and other peaks captures your heart.
This part of the world gives glimpse of thousands year old culture and tradition as the region is still untouched by the modern civilization. The homes made up of stone and sun backed mud bricks, city walls, four storied palace of Lo-Manthang and unique family culture of Mustang are other things of attraction. All brothers of a Mustangi family get married with a girl and this is quite astonishing for outsiders. Tiji Festival, which is celebrated here at late winter/spring, is another major attraction for tourists. People of Mustang are also called Lobas. They have their own Tribe-leader called Jigme Palbar Bista. In order to protect traditional culture of Mustang Nepal government issues special permit for visit.
Outline Day to Day Itinerary:
- Day 01:Arrival in Kathmandu
- Day 02:Preparation for trekking
- Day 03:Kathmandu to Pokhara
- Day 04:Fly to Jomsom and trek to Kagbeni
- Day 05:Kagbeni to Chele
- Day 06:Chele to Syanbochen
- Day 07:Syanbochen to Ghaymi
- Day 08:Ghaymi to Charang
- Day 09:Charang to Lo-Mangthang
- Day 10:Explore Lo-Mangthang
- Day 11:Lo-Mangthang to Drakmar
- Day 12:Dhakmar to Ghiling
- Day 13:Ghiling to Chhuksang
- Day 14:Chhuksang to Jomsom
- Day 15:Fly back to Pokhara
- Day 16:Drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu
- Day 17:Back to your home country.
- Day 01:Arrival in Kathmandu The representative of NTA will receive you at Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu. He/she will transfer you to hotel. If you have enough time, you can visit some tourists’ spots in Kathmandu. Overnight in Kathmandu.
- Day 02:Preparation for trekking On the second day of your visit, we will help you start preparation for trekking.
- Day 03:Kathmandu to Pokhara We will head towards Pokhara in early morning at around 7. While on route you will enjoy countryside of Nepal, its greenery and river by the road side. While reaching on Pokhara you will get majestic view of Machhapuchhre (Fishtail Mountain), Dhaulagiri, Manaslu and others. Lakes in Pokhara will catch your heart forever. Overnight in Pokhara.
- Day 04:Fly to Jomsom and trek to Kagbeni On this day, after breakfast, we take you to the airport from where you will catch flight to Jomsom. From Jomsom we walk by the bank of Kaligandaki River and reach Ekley-bhatti village. We halt here for an hour and further move towards Kagbeni. It is windswept village. It is a place where Kaligandaki River begins as Kak Khola (River) originating at Muktinath meets Mustang Khola here.
- Day 05:Kagbeni to Chele Our real trail begins from Kagbeni where special trekking permit is checked by government authority. While on foot we will enjoy scenic and panoramic beauty of the area. After couple of hours we reach at Tangbe village and from here we trek forward to Chhusang. Before we reach Chele we cross river that falls from a cliff.
- Day 06:Chele to Syanbochen On sixth day we walk towards Eklo-bhatti. After climbing Taklam La pass we further descend towards small village called Samar. Another three hours walk from Samar takes us to Syanbochen.
- Day 07:Syanbochen to Ghaymi After having breakfast we trek uphill to yamda La. Next, we climb to Nyi Passs and descend to Ghaymi for overnight stay.
- Day 08:Ghaymi to Charang Ghaymi to Charang is a pleasant walk. No sooner we cross Ghaymi Khola our trail goes through a plateau and crosses long Mani wall. The influence of Tibetan culture is clearly seen in this area. As the wall ends, our trek heads towards east for Charang village where we will halt for a night. Willow trees, maze fields and houses built and separated by stone walls are the attractions of this area. A huge white dzong and red Gompa also attracts tourists here.
- Day 09:Charang to Lo-Mangthang Trek to Lo-Mangthang is magnificent experience. Views of Nilgiri, Tilicho, Annapurna I and Bhrikuti peak makes you spellbind. First of all, our trail descends to Charang Chu Canyon and then goes uphill. Before we arrive at windy pass of Lo, our trail descends gently. From this area we can enjoy Lo-Mangthang Valley. We will spend a night here at Lo-Mangthang.
- Day 10:Explore Lo-Mangthang Tenth day is a kind of rest day. On this day we will explore surrounding areas of Lo-Mangthang. We will visit Namgyal Gompa and Tingkhar. Namgyal Gompa is built on the top of a hill and it is a monastery which serves as a local court of the community.
Tingkhar is situated on north-west of Lo-Mangthang. If weather is supportive then we can visit Tall Champa Lakhang ‘God House’, the red Thugchen Gompa and Chyodi Gompa among others.
- Day 11:Lo-Mangthang to Drakmar We move towards Drakmar via Gyakar. Ghar Gompa and Guru Rinpoche are the attractions of this place. Ghar Gompa is 1200 year old monastery that is popular for its rock paintings. It is said that any wish made at Ghar Gompa is fulfilled. We will spend night at Drakmar.
- Day 12:Dhakmar to Ghiling Dhakmar to Ghiling is 5-6 hours walk. We will enjoy our lunch at Ghiling and explore the area during day time.
- Day 13:Ghiling to Chhuksang We re-track back to Ghiling for the overnight stop after 5 hrs walk. You will have wonderful scenery during the journey with a Himalayan view. Overnight at tea house.
- Day 14:Chhuksang to Jomsom It is a last day of our trek and walk is going to be a bit longer. So, it is good to start our trekking early in the morning. We take our lunch at Kagbeni and from there head towards Jomsom where we will halt at night.
- Day 15:Fly back to Pokhara After morning breakfast we go to airport and catch flight to Pokhara. On arrival at Pokhara airport guide will transfer you to the lakeside hotel where you will enjoy beautiful lakes of the city.
- Day 16:Drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu On this day we get back to Kathmandu by car / van. Upon your arrival at Kathmandu NTA will give you a farewell dinner. Overnight in Kathmandu.
- Day 17:Back to your home country. Our trip concludes today as you pack your baggage for your country. A representative of NTA will take you to the airport.
- Costs related to all airport and hotel transfers
- All nights in local lodges/teahouses during the trek
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- Three times meals during the trek
- Experienced English-speaking trek leader (trekking guide) and Sherpa porter (1 porter for 2 trekkers) including their salary, insurance, equipment, flight, food and lodging
- Down jacket and sleeping bag (on hire) and trekking map
- All permits, special permmits and necessary paper work, TIMS
- First aid kit
- All taxes, be it local or government
- Visa fee for Nepal (bring accurate USD cash and 2 passport size photographs)
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- All conservation area and cultural heritage site entrance fees
- Excess baggage charges
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu because of early arrival, late departure, early return from trekking (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu (and also in the case of early return from trekking than the scheduled itinerary)
- Travel and rescue insurance
- International or domestic flights
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower etc)
- Tips for guides and porters
Size of Trekking Group
For Upper Manaslu Trek, there will be one leader and Sherpa porter (1 porter for 2 trekkers). This arrangement is done for the smooth running of the campaign. It ensures that the trip will carry on as per plan even if anybody in a group gets sick. NTA can operate this trek for a group of any size. But, a group of 12 are considered as optimum size. However, if you have a group of more than 12, NTA can arrange this too.
While on trek, we will spend nights at local tea houses. All accommodations for this trek will be on twin sharing basis. However, on request, single rooms can also be made available but it costs additional $ 350 US. But some places in this region do not allow single accommodations.
During our Upper Mustang Trek, we will enjoy typical Nepali food, different ethnic cuisines as well as all types of international cuisine like, Tibetan, Continental, Italian, and Indian. You can even enjoy hot chocolates, breads and drinks of different variety and snacks.
Breakfast of a day will be served at the same tea house or lodge where we spent the night, as per its menu. Lunch will be served on the way to destination and dinner will be served at the tea house where you spend the night. A welcome dinner, a farewell dinner and breakfasts will be served during our stay in Kathmandu.
Getting Visa for Nepal
You will get on arrival visa for Nepal. On arriving Nepal you will get tourist visa for 15 to five months. It depends upon your purpose of visit but regarding tour you will get the visa for 15 to three months.
For trekking you need to submit photocopy of passport and two pp size photo of yours.