Private vehicle / By Air
Trip Style Tea house trek
Meals Breakfast + Lunch + Dinner
Per Day Walking 4 - 6 Hours
Best Season February to May and October and November
- You will lose at least 5-8 lbs
- A single trek will give you awesome experience of lakes, mountains and white glaciers.
- You view at least four mountains of more than 8,000 meters, two above 7,000 and three above 6,000 meters height.
- Everest Gokyo Village is one of the world’s well settled villages in high altitudes.
- Experience Sherpa culture, tradition and their life style.
"Standing at the top of Gokyo Ri and soaking in the spectacular views, I again marvel at the scale of the landscape in this region. For example, at this altitude, I am higher that I have ever been in my life and higher than I will probably ever be again, but at the same time I am over 3000 meters (nearly two miles) below the peak of Mt. Everest"–Mark Van Ryzin. Trekking in Everest Region is awe-inspiring and Gokyo Valley Short Trek in the region is full of excitement and thrill. Besides mountain peaks, lush green vegetation and narrow trekking trail, the view of Ngozumpa Glacier is the major attraction of Gokyo Valley Trek. It is a largest glacier of Nepal.
While on trek to Gokyo Valley, you will witness several mountains like-- Mt. Everest (8848m), Mt. Lhotse (8516m), Mt. Makalu (8481m), Mt. Cho Oyu (8201m), Mt. Nuptse (7879m), Mt. Pumori (7161m), Mt. Ama Dablam (6856m), Mt. Kantega (6809m), and Kwangde (6194m).
The trek begins from Lukla. It (Lukla) is 35 minutes flight from Kathmandu. The trail passes through several rivers and reaches Namche Bazar. Before reaching the final destination, Gokyo, you cross Khumjung Village and Phortse Tenga.
Outline Day to Day Itinerary:
- Day 01:Arrival in Kathmandu and Transfer to hotel
- Day 02:Preparation for trekking
- Day 03:Flight to Lukla and trek to Phakding
- Day 04:Phakding to Namche Bazar
- Day 05:Acclimatization day at Namche Bazar
- Day 06:Namche Bazar to Dole
- Day 07:Dole to Machherma
- Day 08:Machherma to Gokyo
- Day 09:Acclimatization Day
- Day 10:Gokyo to Dole
- Day 11:Dole to Namche Bazaar
- Day 12:Namche Bazar to Lukla
- Day 13:Lukla to Kathmandu
- Day 14:Final Departure
- Day 01:Arrival in Kathmandu and Transfer to hotel After you arrive in Kathmandu, our staffs will transfer you to your hotel.
- Day 02:Preparation for trekking On this day, you will be provided sufficient time for doing preparations for continuing our trek. You will meet trek leaders and other team members of the expedition.
- Day 03:Flight to Lukla and trek to Phakding It is a beautiful short flight. We fly parallel to the Himalayan giants bordering Nepal and Tibetan China. Upon arrival in Lukla, our guide will introduce you with porters. We will have small time to explore the village whilst the Sherpa crew sort and load equipment. Once ready, we start a short trek descending on a wide trail northwest to the village of Choblung in the Dudh Kosi Valley. The valley contains beautiful pine and rhododendron forest. The walking is easy and we follow the river's course, passing through the village of Ghat. After 3 hours we reach the village of Phakding.
- Day 04:Phakding to Namche Bazar From Phakding we head towards valley on a busy trail. Normally, we hire porters/Sherpas from Solu district who carry necessary supplies to Namche. Sheprpa’s ‘Zopkio’ ( an animal that appears half like cow and half like yak) carry or transport climbing and trekking equipments on their back.
The trail goes along Dudh Kosi River through beautiful alpine scenery - fragrant blue pine and fir forest, glimpsing spectacular views of Kusum Kangru (6,369m) and Thanserku (6,608m) along the way. Crossing the Dudh Kosi again to the western bank at Jorsale, we make our way to the entrance to the Sagamartha (Everest) National Park. Continuing upstream along the banks to the meeting of the Bhote Kosi and Dudh Koshi, it is here we begin our first sustained ascent to Namche Bazar after crossing the large suspension bridge. Walking at a slow pace, we will have opportunity for photographs as the peaks of Everest (8,848m), Lhotse (8,511m), Nuptse (7,879m), Arna Dablam (6,856m) and Taweche (6,542m) come into view for the first time. Climbing again, the path takes us through pine trees to reach the village of Namche Bazar where we will spend the night.
- Day 05:Acclimatization day at Namche Bazar Today is an all important full day to rest and acclimatize. Namche is famous for its local market because each week Sherpas from the surrounding villages come to buy food and other essential commodities of daily use. They also socialize here. Any food not grown locally, such as rice, corn and some vegetables is brought from the lowland villages, which can be up to a 6-10 day walk from Namche Bazar.
Rising early, those who climb to the ridge above Namche will be rewarded with the stunning dawn and sunrise over the panorama of the Khumbu peaks. In the afternoon you can walk along the Thami Valley, or visit the National Park Headquarters to see the interesting displays of Sherpa lifestyle and culture, mountaineering in the park, flora and fauna. Overnight in Namche Bazar.
- Day 06:Namche Bazar to Dole Today, our trekking begins early in the morning after taking breakfast. Walking through the forest is so pleasing and the views of mountains till Kenjompa make the trip so worthy. An uphill walk towards Mung Dada is full of excitement as you will get an opportunity to see Amadablam, Khangteka, Thamserku, Kurum Khangru and also Kongde and Kongde-Ri. We move ahead to reach Dole where will spend our night.
- Day 07:Dole to Machherma From Dole the trail climbs to Lambara at 4220m and Luza at 4360m. The trail is steep in most places as it climbs through scrub junipers. There are kharkas whenever there is a flat spot and the slightest hint of water. People from Khumjung own all the kharkas on this side of valley. The trails continue to climb along the side of the valley, high above the river and crossing sandy spurs we reach Machherma.
- Day 08:Machherma to Gokyo The trail climbs a ridge for an excellent view both down the valley to Kantega and up towards Cho Oyu (8153m). Beyond the ridge, the valley widens as the trail passes through Pangka at 4390m then descends to the river bank before beginning the climb on to the terminal moraine of the Ngozumpa Glacier. It is a steep climb up the moraine, switch backing alongside the stream to the first small lake at 4650m, where a family of green Braminy ducks resides. We finally reach at our destination which is at the height of 4,750m from sea level—Gokyo.
- Day 09:Acclimatization Day After breakfast, we have steep climb up to the top of Gokyo Ri (5483m) - the small peak above the lake. The view of Gokyo region from here is tremendous. It is a two hour climb to the top of the peak, providing a panoramic view of Cho Oyu, Gyachung Kang, Everest, Lhotse, Makalu, Cholatse and Twachee. Those with more time and energy can make a trip up the valley to another lake marked with the name Ngozumpa on the maps or even beyond to a fifth lake. There are several small peaks in this region that offer vantage points for the surrounding peaks.
- Day 10:Gokyo to Dole Today, after breakfast, we descend down to Dole. We will trace the same track to get back to Dole where we will spend our night. It is thrill and excitement packed long walk.
- Day 11:Dole to Namche Bazaar Today, we will gear up towards Namche Bazaar following the same route which led us to Dole from Namche. Overnight at Namche Bazaar.
- Day 12:Namche Bazar to Lukla It takes around 5 hours to reach Lukla from namche on foot. It is a last day of Gokyo Valley Short Trek. Overnight in Lukla.
- Day 13:Lukla to Kathmandu Today, we will fly to Kathmandu from Lukla. And in the evening, Nepal Trek Adventure will organize a farewell dinner for you. You will enjoy and celebrate the mood. You will spend night in a hotel.
- Day 14:Final Departure Here ends your Nepal stay today. The representative of NTA will drop you at the airport for your departure to your homeland. See you again!!
- Costs related to all airport and hotel transfers. Domestic flights and airport departure taxes.
- All nights in local lodges/teahouses during the trek
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- Three times meals during the trek
- Experienced English-speaking trek leader (trekking guide) and Sherpa porter (1 porter for 2 trekkers) including their salary, insurance, equipment, flight, food and lodging
- Down jacket and sleeping bag (on hire) and trekking map.
- All permits and necessary paper work (National park permit, TIMS )
- First aid kit.
- All taxes, be it local or government
- Visa fee for Nepal (bring accurate USD cash and 2 passport size photographs)
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- All conservation area and cultural heritage site entrance fees
- Excess baggage charges
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu because of early arrival, late departure, early return from trekking (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu (and also in the case of early return from trekking than the scheduled itinerary)
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower etc)
- Tips for guides and porters
Size of Trekking group
For the Gokyo Valley Trek, there will be one leader and a Sherpa porter (1 porter for 2 trekkers). This arrangement is done for the smooth running of the campaign. It ensures that the trip will carry on as per plan even if anybody in a group gets sick. NTA can operate this trek for a group of any size. But, a group of 10 are considered as optimum size. However, if you have a group of more than 10, NTA can arrange this too.
While on trek, we will spend nights at local tea houses. All accommodations for this trek will be on twin sharing basis. However, on request, single rooms can also be made available but it costs additional $ 350 US. But some places in Everest region do not allow single accommodations.
During our Gokyo Valley Short Trek, we will enjoy typical Nepali food, different ethnic cuisines as well as all types of international cuisine like, Tibetan, Continental, Italian, and Indian. You can even enjoy hot chocolates, breads and drinks of different variety and snacks.
Breakfast of a day will be served at the same tea house or lodge where we spent the night, as per its menu. Lunch will be served on the way to destination and dinner will be served at the tea house where you spend the night. A welcome dinner, a farewell dinner and breakfasts will be served during our stay in Kathmandu.
Getting Visa for Nepal
You will get on arrival visa for Nepal. On arriving Nepal you will get tourist visa for 15 days to five months. It depends upon your purpose of visit but regarding tour you will get the visa for 15 days to three months. For trekking you need to submit photocopy of passport and two pp size photo of yours.