Per Day Walking 4 - 6 Hours
Best Season March to May and September to November
- You will lose at least 5-10 lbs
- It is one of the easiest and shortest hiking routes of the country.
- Tourist with small time limit can try this trail.
- The region is popular for Buddhist monasteries and sweet apples.
- Observe culture, tradition and life style of Hyolmo people.
Helambu Hiking is one of the easiest and shortest hikes of the country located on north of Kathmandu. It is a nice hike for those hikers who want to explore typical Hyolmo cultural of Nepal. The word Helambu is driven from the word Hyolmo. Helambu is popular for two things—Buddhist monasteries and sweet apples.
Helambu trail is a short hike of around eight days. Normally, the hiking begins from Sundarijal and goes passing Chisopani, Hyolmo, Kutumsang, Magingoth, Tharepati, Melamchigaun, Nakote and Hyolmo, Tarkegyang. After Tarkegyang you will have two options, one follow footpath for Sermathang and the other bus route to Kiultapkakharka. Both the ways ultimately meet at Melamchi from where one can get back to Kathmandu by bus. The hiking covers the maximum height of 3,650 m.
The Helambu region begins at the Lauribina La pass and descends to the Melamchi valley where around 10,000 Hyolmo people reside. The Nepal Government recognized Hyolmo as one of the indigenous groups among 59 with their distinct cultural identity. Some Hyolmo also consider themselves as Helambu Sherpa. Their main religion is Tibetan Buddhism. As a marriage ritual, Hyolmo used to steal bride but this is no longer in practice in recent days.
Outline Day to Day Itinerary:
- Day 01:Arrival in Kathmandu and our staff will transferr you to hotel
- Day 02:Sundarijal to Chisopani
- Day 03:Chisopani to Khutumsang
- Day 04:Khutumsang to Tharepati
- Day 05:Tharepati to Tarke Gyang
- Day 06:Tarke Ghyang to Sermathang
- Day 07:Sermathang
- Day 08:Sermathang to Malemchi Pul Bazar and drive back to Kathmandu
- Day 09:Fly back to your country. Our staff will drop you at airport
- Day 01:Arrival in Kathmandu and our staff will transferr you to hotel You will be picked up by Nepal Trek Adventures staff and taken to the Hotel in Kathmandu.
- Day 02:Sundarijal to Chisopani A 15km drive from Kathmandu takes you to the starting point of the trek. On arrival at Sundarijal, you can visit Shivapuri watershed and Wild life Reserve. From Sundarijal, the trail heads up to the concrete steps beside the pipeline which supply drinking water for the valley. We leave the pipeline near the dam, and then on to Mulkharka, trekking up the ridge at around 1895m, some 600m above Sundarijal. There you can take some time to relax in the convenient tea shops, and to enjoy the view back over the valley. We then continue walking to Chisopani (2300m) from where stunning mountain views are to be had
- Day 03:Chisopani to Khutumsang From Chisopani the trail leads down to Pati Bhanjyang (1770m), a lovely small village. After reaching Pati Bhanjyang, the trail leads up and then down to the village of Gul Bhanjyang (2140m). From here the trail climbs up to 2620m and then again descends along the rocky route to Khutumsang (2470m).
- Day 04:Khutumsang to Tharepati Following a ridge line, the trail continues via lightly populated forest to Magen Goth from where the view of Langtang and Gosaikund peak is stunning, and finally reaching Tharepati (3490m). This walk from is one of the best ridge walks among all treks in Nepal.The trails to Gosaikund branches off north - west from here.
- Day 05:Tharepati to Tarke Gyang Turning east, the trail rapidly descends down a ravine through small Sherpa village of Malemchigaon (2530m) with splendid lodges and fine old and artistic Gompas. The trail again descends leaving the village and crossing Malenchi Khola by a bridge at 1890m and making the long climb up the other side of the valley to Tarke Gyang at 2620m, which is the largest village in Helambu.
- Day 06:Tarke Ghyang to Sermathang The trails gently descends through a beautiful forest to Sermathang (2620m). It is the centre of an important apple growing area from where a fantastic view of the Himalayas is seen.
- Day 07:Sermathang Today we immerse ourselves in the local culture, taking time out to meet the people of the area and understand their lifestyle and customs. It also acts as a spare day in case you wish to take the trek a little slower.
- Day 08:Sermathang to Malemchi Pul Bazar and drive back to Kathmandu As we leave Sermanthang the trails then continues to descent to Dubhachaur at 1500 m, and then again steeply down to Malemchi (830m) where it meets the road. This village has good collection of teahouses and lodges and all kinds of transportation including buses to get to Panchkhal on the Kodari road. From there, we can catch a bus to Kathmandu (4-5 hours drive by bus).
- Day 09:Fly back to your country. Our staff will drop you at airport Our trip concludes today as you pack your baggage for your country. A representative of NTA will take you to the airport.
- Costs related to all airport and hotel transfers. Domestic flights and airport departure taxes.
- 2 nights in a hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast
- 06 nights in local lodges/teahouses during the trek
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- All accommodation and meals during the trek
- Experienced English-speaking trek leader (trekking guide) and Sherpa porter (1 porter for 2 trekkers) including their salary, insurance, equipment, flight, food and lodging
- Down jacket and sleeping bag (on hire or purchase) and trekking map.
- All permits and necessary paper work (National park permit, TIMS )
- First aid kit.
- All taxes, be it local or government.
- Visa fee for Nepal (bring accurate USD cash and 2 passport size photographs)
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- Excess baggage charges
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu because of early arrival, late departure, early return from trekking (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu (and also in the case of early return from trekking than the scheduled itinerary)
- Travel and rescue insurance
- International or domestic flights
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower etc)
- Tips for guides and porters
Size of Trekking Group
For Helambu Hiking, there will be one leader and Sherpa porter (1 porter for 2 trekkers). This arrangement is done for the smooth running of the campaign. It ensures that the trip will carry on as per plan even if anybody in a group gets sick. NTA can operate this trek for a group of any size. But, a group of 12 are considered as optimum size. However, if you have a group of more than 12, NTA can arrange this too.He
We will spend 2 nights at a luxury hotel in Kathmandu. While on hiking, we will spend seven nights at local tea houses. All accommodations for this trek will be on twin sharing basis. However, on request, single rooms can also be made available but it costs additional $ 250 US.
During our Helambu Hiking, we will enjoy typical Nepali food, different ethnic cuisines as well as all types of international cuisine like, Tibetan, Continental, Italian, and Indian. You can even enjoy hot chocolates, breads and drinks of different variety and snacks.
Breakfast of a day will be served at the same tea house or lodge where we spent the night, as per its menu. Lunch will be served on the way to destination and dinner will be served at the tea house where you spend the night. A welcome dinner, a farewell dinner and breakfasts will be served during our stay in Kathmandu.
Getting Visa for Nepal
You will get on arrival visa for Nepal. On arriving Nepal you will get tourist visa for 15 to five months. It depends upon your purpose of visit but regarding tour you will get the visa for 15 to three months.
For trekking you need to submit photocopy of passport and two pp size photo of yours.