Private vehicle / By Air
Trip Style Tea house trek
Meals Breakfast + Lunch + Dinner
- Mt. Makalu is the fifth highest mountain in the world which lies in the Makalu Barun National Park.
- 19 days trek from Kathmandu to the Makalu Base camp.
- Breath-taking diversity, unique cultural heritage, incredible views of the mountains are the treasure of this region.
- Home land of Sherpa people alongside Khumbu valley.
- Kekela pass (4230m), Tutu la pass (4200m) are the passes that will be covered in this trek.
Makalu Base Camp trekking is the no. 1 trekking destination in Nepal for solitary trekkers. It offers the best journey in the Himalayas with great joy and happiness. It makes you encounter with the world’s fifth highest mountain, Mount Makalu (8463m) centered in Makalu Barun National Park. During the Makalu Base Camp trekking, the route takes us from fair lowland to the height of 5000m. This trek offers the entry and roaming in Makalu Barun National Park which covers an area of 2330 square kilometer extending around Solukhumbu and Sankhuwasabha districts of Nepal. This park is loaded in terms of wildlife and vegetation. Making you feel like you are in Heaven and in the lap of Himalaya, is the major aspect that makes this trekking and route more beautiful and admirable.
Mount Makalu Base Camp trekking provides the greatest vista of Mount Makalu along with other ranges like Mount Everest, Mount Lhotse, Mount Chamlang, and so forth. This reward of view gives you the feeling of heaven. This trek can be comparatively challenging in some parts depending upon your level of physical fitness. Owing to the tremendous scenery of base camp, the route provides breathtaking diversity, unique cultural heritage and incredible views of mountain peaks attract many trekkers to enjoy its unseen beauty which is treasured forever.
Makalu Base Camp Trek Route
Kathmandu -> Tumlingtar -> Chichila -> Num -> Seduwa -> Tashi Gaon -> Kongma -> Debotay -> Yangle Kharka -> Merek -> Shersong -> Makalu Base Camp -> Yangle Kharka -> Mumbuk -> Khongma -> Tashi Gaon -> Num -> Chichila -> Tumlingtar -> Kathmandu
Makalu Base Camp Trek Highlights
Makalu Base Camp trek is one of the most admired remote and unspoiled trekking in Eastern region of Nepal. It has made its own places in low instance with its adorable view which provides serenity to the trekkers and its other visitors. The major highlights of this trekking are the vista of mountain ranges like Mount Everest, Mount Chamlang, Mount Lhotse, along with exceptionally admiring flora and fauna. Makalu Barun National Park is also the another one with extra attracting power. The trek passing through Kekela Pass (4230m) and Tutu La Pass (4200m), along with Sherpa village with its own culture and tradition which are also the major attractions.
Nepal Trek Adventure & Expedition offers you Makalu Base Camp Trek with full flexible itinerary and cheap but negotiable price. We let trekkers visit on outstanding exploration visit and can enjoy its unbelievable views. This trek will leave the mark in your mind and memory which you will not forget in your lifetime.
Outline Day to Day Itinerary:
- Day 01:Fly to Tumlingtar from Kathmandu and drive to Chichila (1,840m)
- Day 02:Trek to Num (1,500m)
- Day 03:Trek to Seduwa (1,540m)
- Day 04:Trek to Tashi Gaon (2,070m)
- Day 05:Trek to Khongma (3,560m)
- Day 06:Rest and acclimatization day
- Day 07:Cross Shipton La and trek to Debotay (3,650m)
- Day 08:Trek to Yangle Kharka (3,600m)
- Day 09:Trek to Merek (4,500m)
- Day 10:Trek to Shersong
- Day 11:Day tour to Makalu Base Camp (5,000m)
- Day 12:Trek to Yangle Kharka
- Day 13:Trek to Mumbuk
- Day 14:rek to Khongma
- Day 15:Trek to Tashigaon
- Day 16:Trek to Num
- Day 17:Trek to Chichila, Transfer to Tumlingtar
- Day 18:Fly back to Kathmandu
- Day 01:Fly to Tumlingtar from Kathmandu and drive to Chichila (1,840m) We fly from Kathmandu to Tumlingtar which will take approximately 50 minutes. It will take 3 hours to reach Chichila from Tumlingtar from jeep through a bumpy road.
- Day 02:Trek to Num (1,500m) We have quite paced walk from Chichila to Num through the pleasing villages and From Chichila, today we have a quite paced walk through the delightful villages and prolific mountain forests. A ridge line with large views on both side and suspended on the end is Num. Overnight stay in Num.
- Day 03:Trek to Seduwa (1,540m) From Num, we trek vertically down to Arun Khola through the forests and terraced plots of land. The area is quite hot and the forests on the valley offers bit of darkness. From here, Makalu national Park starts and we register our permit, and trek toward the top of village and do camping there.
- Day 04:Trek to Tashi Gaon (2,070m) From Seduwa, we trek towards the hilltop surrounded by the Ipsuwa Khola (on the west) and Kasuwa Khola (on the east). We reach to Tashi Gaon after passing the hillside through still villages and small paddy fields.
- Day 05:Trek to Khongma (3,560m) After heading off from Tashi Gaon our route moves upwards towards Khongma. Khongma is the last stop before crossing the Shipton La and moving down into the upper sections of the remote Barun Valley. You will be observing scrub and rhododendrons that cover the lower reaches of the mountains.
- Day 06:Rest and acclimatization day Today, you will have an acclimatization day. Rest and acclimatization day allows our bodies to catch up with us before going to more altitude. The following day we take on crossing of the Shipton La.
- Day 07:Cross Shipton La and trek to Debotay (3,650m) From Khongma we head towards the peak of the Shipton La which takes a few hours to reach. After the lake Kalo Pokhari, we get ahead of the Keke La at 4,152m. Marvelous views of Chamlang 7,319m, Peak 6 (6,524m) and Peak 7 (6,758m). After crossing the Keke La pass, we move down through the striking valley to Debotay. Climbing high and sleeping low gives the chance for acclimatization.
- Day 08:Trek to Yangle Kharka (3,600m) We pass through the Rhododendron forest which takes us to the Baruni River and the upper reaches of the valley. A amusing walk will allow us gain altitude slowly, until we arrive at Yangle Kharka situated at the base of the valley.
- Day 09:Trek to Merek (4,500m) Today, we trek to Merek. Because we are reaching at height beyond 4,000 meters, be clear in your mind to allow your body the necessary time for acclimatization.
- Day 10:Trek to Shersong At this time, we climb up the valley, all the way through yak pastures and boulder fields. On approaching Shersong the south east ridge of Mount Makalu comes into vision. Campsite at Shersong.
- Day 11:Day tour to Makalu Base Camp (5,000m) Make sure that you accustom yourself well before walking up to Makalu Base Camp. Enjoy the terrific views of the Himalayan all over the day. Come again back to Shersong.
- Day 12:Trek to Yangle Kharka From Shersong, we come down back down the valley and take our last glance of Makalu before turning the corner and ultimately reaching Yangle Kharka.
- Day 13:Trek to Mumbuk Today from Yangle Kharka we descend down. Then climb up the rock gully to Mumbuk. We will be again greeted by the greeneries below.
- Day 14:rek to Khongma After walking ahead from Mumbuk, on the way you will walk through a forest of firs and rhododendrons. Cross the Keke La, Shipton La and Ghungru La. Move down to Khogma again.
- Day 15:Trek to Tashigaon Today, we constantly go down down to Tashigaon. The fall will be a long and vertical one. And we come across the hillside to ultimately reach the Sherpa town of Tashi Gaon.
- Day 16:Trek to Num We are going back over the same path that we came by. We exit the Makalu Barun Camp. Moving down to Arun Khola and Seduwa again we have another hike through the forest to Num. We go behind our footsteps all the way back down to the river and ascend back the opposite side of the valley to Num.
- Day 17:Trek to Chichila, Transfer to Tumlingtar Once more we repeat our steps to Chichila. The final return of the trek will allow us overnight at Tumlingtar, ready for an early departure to Kathmandu the following day. Transfer to Tumlingtar.
- Day 18:Fly back to Kathmandu We finish the journey with a flight to Kathmandu. We will return to the hotel in Kathmandu.
- Free airport picks upon your arrival and a drop at the end of your trip
- TIMS (Trekkers' Information Management Systems)
- All related Permits
- A Night accomodation in Tumlingtar
- Transportation by flight ( Kathmandu- Lukla- Kathmandu) and all necessary ground transportation as per itinerary
- Trekking Map
- Complete free trekking information before going to trek
- Tasty and hygienic organic welfare dinner at the end of the tour in Kathmandu
- Full Board (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner) during the trek
- All nights in local teahouses/lodges during trekking
- An experienced licensed holder guide and needed number of porters as per your group size
- Medical first aid kit box ( which is carried by your team)
- Foods, flight tickets, accommodations and local tax for guide & porters
- Down jacket, sleeping bag and all necessary trekking gears are available in a hire
- Your travel insurance ( Travel insurance is compulsory to take an adventure trip and it must be covered both medical & emergency evacuation with the worth of USD100, 000.00 minimum.
- International flight tickets and departure tax
- Nepal entry visa fees
- Any kind of drinks (tea, coffee, water, hot water, etc) and of bar bills (alcoholic beverages)
- Hot shower, WIFI, any electronic battery charges during only in trekking
- Tips and gratitude to your guides, porters, and drivers
- Extra night accommodation or meals in Kathmandu because of early arrival, late departure and early return from trekking (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
Best Agency for Makalu Base Camp Trek
Nepal is such a beautiful country that I love every part of it from my core heart. I have visited many parts of it, and now it was the turn for Makalu Base Camp. At first, I thought of going alone but my guts didn’t support. So, I decided to consult with the company in Nepal. So I called Binod, the managing director of Nepal Trek Adventure and Expedition. We did some other treks together and I was satisfied with the circle. We talked and he told me about the group that is going to the very place. I agreed with him and came to Nepal. I met with group members and all were so cool. Finally, a day our trek started and we did our journey in full fledge. The route, sighting rhododendron forest, shining mountains, and overall experience went above my head. I mean everything was good enough to observe. I truly enjoyed the company and union. I heartedly wish for your good luck and a great future. Congratulations Nepal Trek Adventure for your fabulous years of experience and services.
Makalu Base Camp Trek 16 Days
Makalu base camp is one of the most desired trekking routes for solitary trekkers. I also decided to do the one but with a guide. I was not able to search an efficient guide so I started to search for companies who provide perfect guides for these kinds of purpose. I found and chose Nepal trek Adventure and truly I was not disappointed at all. They provided me a guide with option to swap too. Bu I was happy with their first choice. We both (me and my guide) enjoyed each-others’ company and collaboration. Our camping, noodles making process, fighting like a kid and immediately hugging each other, enjoying natural landscape and vegetation, clearing snow; all were perfect. I truly appreciate the guide and the company which gave me such a good guide. God bless you all.
Makalu Base Camp Trek Best Experience
My trek to Makalu Base Camp was full of thrill and excitement. I had never gone to the Himalayas before this; maybe that was the reason. I was scared in little stuff and difficulty. But my guided used to calm me down and motivate me to complete the trek. And finally, with my fear and his motivation, we reach the base camp. I was so much happy in that situation when I hoist my flag there with pride. It was the greatest achievement of the lifetime, as I had never done such an adventure in my lifetime. Thank you so much Nepal Trek and the team for making my thrilling trip more exciting and memorial.
My trekking experience in Makalu
אני מישראל. עשיתי את טרקים למחנה הבסיס Makalu עם הרפתקה בנפאל מסע ומסע. הטרק היה מלא בהנאה ובתהילה. נהניתי ללכת לשם איתך. השירותים והאירוח שלך פוצצו את מוחי. אני בהחלט רוצה לחזור Nepal ולבצע אחרים trekking’s. אלוהים יברך אותך לשמור על רמת שלך עם מיטב המתקנים, כפי שאתה מספק עכשיו עם הופעות טובות יותר.
Makalu Base Camp Tea House Trek
It is not possible to say any trekking company perfect and another is bad because all of them have their own exceptional factors. But through my trekking experience with Nepal Trek Adventure, I can say them perfect and somehow best in all aspects. We, the group of 5 people along with a guide went for Makalu Base camp Trekking and the whole journey was awesome. You all truly made my days in Himalayas of Nepal. Thank you, Nepal trek and your team.
1. Food: the food during the trek cannot be determined but the foods available in lodges and hotels will be far sufficient for trekkers to enjoy Nepali culture and fill the empty stomach. Noodles and biscuits are also suggested to carry in case of urgent and hunger strike in the places where hotels are not available.
2. Best seasons: Spring (March, April, May) and Autumn (September, October, November) are the best seasons for Makalu Base Camp Trek. The temperature remains good (at lower and mid-elevation) and weather remains finest of all. Trekking in winter season can also be done but due to cold, it is not recommended much. Also in winter, lodges also aren’t essentially well-equipped.
3. Getting there and moving away: the most common way to start the journey is the flight from Kathmandu to Tumlingtar, which is around 500 km east of Kathmandu. The major airlines operating are Yeti Airlines and Buddha Air, which operates on a daily basis.
4. Permits: There are two major permits needed for this trekking route. They are:
- Trekkers’ Information Management Systems (TIMS) card [US $20 per person]
- Makalu Barun National Park Conservation Area Permit [US $30 per person]
5. Difficulty level: This trek is challenging enough for beginners but not much for mountaineers and trekkers/hikers. It deserves 6 out of 10 on the difficulty level rating. The added acclimatization days in the itinerary assist a lot in keeping oneself fresh and relieved which reduces its difficulty level.