Private vehicle / By Air
Trip Style Tea house trek
Meals Breakfast + Lunch + Dinner
Per Day Walking 4 - 6 Hours
Best Season April to November
- Rare privilege to explore around last forbidden kingdom of Nepal, Mustang.
- Encounter with the true originality of Himalayan people
- Upper Mustang lies in Tibetan plateau so, it gives the feeling of visiting Tibet
- Trek to Upper Mustang has become accessible for just 15 years. It requires further trekking permits and government appointed officials to do this trekking
- The last king of Mustang still has his home in the ancient capital, Lo Manthang
- Another attraction is the festival named Fiji
- A chance to explore ancient culture, tradition, and lifestyle of people
- Breathtaking view of the Himalayan landscape and dry ecosystem
Upper Mustang trek is must do event for those trekkers who love trekking in remote area. It has various things to offer like Tibetan culture, thousands year old caves and monastery and scenic beauties. The desert from Tibetan border in north to Kagbeni in south is considered as Upper Mustang. The adventure of Upper Mustang begins from the deepest gorge of the world Kaligandaki. The steep rocky trail goes through Lo-Manthang Valley. The panoramic view of Nilgiri, Annapuran, Dhaulagiri and other peaks captures your heart.
This part of the world gives glimpse of thousands year old culture and tradition as the region is still untouched by the modern civilization. The homes made up of stone and sun backed mud bricks, city walls, four storied palace of Lo-Manthang and unique family culture of Mustang are other things of attraction. All brothers of a Mustangi family get married with a girl and this is quite astonishing for outsiders. Tiji Festival, which is celebrated here at late winter/spring, is another major attraction for tourists. People of Mustang are also called Lobas. They have their own Tribe-leader called Jigme Palbar Bista. In order to protect traditional culture of Mustang Nepal government issues special permit for visit.
Mustang district is a part of province no. 4 in Dhawalagiri zone of northern Nepal.The district, with jomsom as its headquarter, covers an area of 3,573 km square and has approximate population of 13,452 according to 2011 survey. Mustang is an ancient forbidden kingdom, bordered by the Tibetan plateau and sheltered by some of world's tallest peaks, including 8000-meter tall Mt. Annapurna and Mt. Dhaulagiri.
Jomsom, the administrative center of Mustang has an airport since 1962. In 1992, mustang was opened for western tourism from when it became the main tourist entry point. Another major attraction of Mustang region is the Tiji Festival influenced by Tibetan Buddhism.
Outline Day to Day Itinerary:
- Day 01:Kathmandu to Pokhara
- Day 02:Fly to Jomsom and trek to Kagbeni
- Day 03:Kagbeni to Chele
- Day 04:Chele to Syanbochen
- Day 05:Syanbochen to Ghaymi
- Day 06:Ghaymi to Charang
- Day 07:Charang to Lo-Mangthang
- Day 08:Explore Lo-Mangthang
- Day 09:Lo-Mangthang to Drakmar
- Day 10:Dhakmar to Ghiling
- Day 11:Ghiling to Chhuksang
- Day 12:Chhuksang to Jomsom
- Day 13:Fly back to Pokhara
- Day 14:Drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu
- Day 01:Kathmandu to Pokhara We will head towards Pokhara in early morning at around 7. While on route you will enjoy countryside of Nepal, its greenery and river by the road side. While reaching on Pokhara you will get majestic view of Machhapuchhre (Fishtail Mountain), Dhaulagiri, Manaslu and others. Lakes in Pokhara will catch your heart forever. Overnight in Pokhara.
- Day 02:Fly to Jomsom and trek to Kagbeni On this day, after breakfast, we take you to the airport from where you will catch flight to Jomsom. From Jomsom we walk by the bank of Kaligandaki River and reach Ekley-bhatti village. We halt here for an hour and further move towards Kagbeni. It is windswept village. It is a place where Kaligandaki River begins as Kak Khola (River) originating at Muktinath meets Mustang Khola here.
- Day 03:Kagbeni to Chele Our real trail begins from Kagbeni where special trekking permit is checked by government authority. While on foot we will enjoy scenic and panoramic beauty of the area. After couple of hours we reach at Tangbe village and from here we trek forward to Chhusang. Before we reach Chele we cross river that falls from a cliff.
- Day 04:Chele to Syanbochen On sixth day we walk towards Eklo-bhatti. After climbing Taklam La pass we further descend towards small village called Samar. Another three hours walk from Samar takes us to Syanbochen.
- Day 05:Syanbochen to Ghaymi After having breakfast we trek uphill to yamda La. Next, we climb to Nyi Passs and descend to Ghaymi for overnight stay.
- Day 06:Ghaymi to Charang Ghaymi to Charang is a pleasant walk. No sooner we cross Ghaymi Khola our trail goes through a plateau and crosses long Mani wall. The influence of Tibetan culture is clearly seen in this area. As the wall ends, our trek heads towards east for Charang village where we will halt for a night. Willow trees, maze fields and houses built and separated by stone walls are the attractions of this area. A huge white dzong and red Gompa also attracts tourists here.
- Day 07:Charang to Lo-Mangthang Trek to Lo-Mangthang is magnificent experience. Views of Nilgiri, Tilicho, Annapurna I and Bhrikuti peak makes you spellbind. First of all, our trail descends to Charang Chu Canyon and then goes uphill. Before we arrive at windy pass of Lo, our trail descends gently. From this area we can enjoy Lo-Mangthang Valley. We will spend a night here at Lo-Mangthang.
- Day 08:Explore Lo-Mangthang Ninth day is a kind of rest day. On this day we will explore surrounding areas of Lo-Mangthang. We will visit Namgyal Gompa and Tingkhar. Namgyal Gompa is built on the top of a hill and it is a monastery which serves as a local court of the community.
Tingkhar is situated on north-west of Lo-Mangthang. If weather is supportive then we can visit Tall Champa Lakhang ‘God House’, the red Thugchen Gompa and Chyodi Gompa among others.
- Day 09:Lo-Mangthang to Drakmar We move towards Drakmar via Gyakar. Ghar Gompa and Guru Rinpoche are the attractions of this place. Ghar Gompa is 1200 year old monastery that is popular for its rock paintings. It is said that any wish made at Ghar Gompa is fulfilled. We will spend night at Drakmar.
- Day 10:Dhakmar to Ghiling Dhakmar to Ghiling is 5-6 hours walk. We will enjoy our lunch at Ghiling and explore the area during day time.
- Day 11:Ghiling to Chhuksang We re-track back to Ghiling for the overnight stop after 5 hrs walk. You will have wonderful scenery during the journey with a Himalayan view. Overnight at tea house.
- Day 12:Chhuksang to Jomsom It is a last day of our trek and walk is going to be a bit longer. So, it is good to start our trekking early in the morning. We take our lunch at Kagbeni and from there head towards Jomsom where we will halt at night.
- Day 13:Fly back to Pokhara After morning breakfast we go to airport and catch flight to Pokhara. On arrival at Pokhara airport guide will transfer you to the lakeside hotel where you will enjoy beautiful lakes of the city.
- Day 14:Drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu On this day we get back to Kathmandu by car / van. Upon your arrival at Kathmandu NTA will give you a farewell dinner. Overnight in Kathmandu.
- Free airport picks upon your arrival and a drop at the end of your trip
- Trekkers information management system.(Tims Card)
- Restricted Area Permits
- 2 nights accommodation in Pokhara. (Tourist Deluxe)
- All necessary ground transportation as per the itinerary
- Trekking Map
- Complete free trekking information before going to trek
- Tasty and hygienic organic welfare dinner at the end of the trek in Kathmandu
- Full Board (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner) during the trek
- All nights in local teahouses/lodges during trekking
- An experienced licensed holder guide and needed number of porters as per your group size
- Medical first aid kit box ( which is carried by your team)
- Foods, accommodations and local tax for guide & porters
- Your travel insurance ( Travel insurance is compulsory to take an adventure trip and it must be covered both medical & emergency evacuation with the worth of USD100, 000.00 minimum.
- Nepal entry visa fees
- Any kind of drinks (tea, coffee, water, hot water, etc) and of bar bills (alcoholic beverages)
- Hot shower, WIFI, any electronic battery charges during only in trekking
- Tips and gratitude to your guides, porters, and drivers
- Extra night accommodation or meals in Kathmandu because of early arrival, late departure and early return from trekking (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
The Best Treking Team
Biond and his team were the most honest, professional, kind and the best service you can get all over Nepal. They all know the area very well and the guides have great English. From my experience Dhana, my guide, was knew everything and everyone, and most important he was very responsible!! I truly recommend the agency!!
Top ten list to do before you die!
I had such a wonderful time trekking with this agency a big should out to my Nepalese brother
Dhana, he was my tour guide for the trek, fantastic, he was full of local knowledge and was always there to put a smile on our faces. I was solo as were all the other trekkers in our group they all came together through this agency. I ended up making life long friends from this experience. The trek itself was unbelievable, to be this close to one of mother natures greats gifts was truly spectacular, i take with me the memories and the smiles of the locals as we passed through their towns, ate with them, slept with them and had a warming experience that has touched me forever. Highly recommend NTAE they were great, staff in the office, friendly and helpful and the guides were excellent! Once in a life time opportunity, well worth the trek!
Did a trek to the upper mustang with nepal trek adventure in june 2013.prompt and effecient outfit.
My emails where answered quickly by the owner, binod sapkota who i met the next day i arrived in kathmandu, very freindly and organised person.
The trek was amazing through ethnic tibetan villages where little has changed.
The guides, were freindly and organised on the trek. Thanks danna!
Will definately use this outfit again.
Muktinath and Upper Mustang Trekking Experience
We had Shiva for 35 days my son 2 ½ years my wife, trekking to Manang and Buck. I really enjoyed the upper passing highly recommended. We stayed with his family for 5 days. this was amazing they live up in the hinterland we ate and drank all home products made and grown on small farm Shiva was very willing to stay where he wanted trustworthy and looked after us very well and Angelo, highly recommended for families one note the price of transport some hotels did not feed him well as his benefit to taking you to his recommended hotels if you want any info email on EARTHDREAMS2000@yahoo.com. Thanks, Shiva from us all.
Size of Trekking Group
For Upper Manaslu Trek, there will be one leader and Sherpa porter (1 porter for 2 trekkers). This arrangement is done for the smooth running of the campaign. It ensures that the trip will carry on as per plan even if anybody in a group gets sick. NTA can operate this trek for a group of any size. But, a group of 12 are considered as optimum size. However, if you have a group of more than 12, NTA can arrange this too.
While on trek, we will spend nights at local tea houses. All accommodations for this trek will be on twin sharing basis. However, on request, single rooms can also be made available but it costs additional $ 350 US. But some places in this region do not allow single accommodations.
During our Upper Mustang Trek, we will enjoy typical Nepali food, different ethnic cuisines as well as all types of international cuisine like, Tibetan, Continental, Italian, and Indian. You can even enjoy hot chocolates, breads and drinks of different variety and snacks.
Breakfast of a day will be served at the same tea house or lodge where we spent the night, as per its menu. Lunch will be served on the way to destination and dinner will be served at the tea house where you spend the night. A welcome dinner, a farewell dinner and breakfasts will be served during our stay in Kathmandu.
Getting Visa for Nepal
You will get on arrival visa for Nepal. On arriving Nepal you will get tourist visa for 15 to five months. It depends upon your purpose of visit but regarding tour you will get the visa for 15 to three months.
For trekking you need to submit photocopy of passport and two pp size photo of yours.